I am true blooded Indian – okay maybe a little Roman too courtesy my ancestral catholic religious origins – so spending $ 19.00 which is approximately INR 1250 for a Lip Pencil is a big decision to make.
Making that decision standing at the Dubai mall, Sephora was easy because your brain starts working amidst iconic beauty brands all around you – looking irresistible!
Let’s read a little bit into what makes this product worth its weight in gold? (as described by the makers)
What it is:
An easy-glide contouring and filling lip pencil featuring intense color payoff and a matte finish.
What it does:
Balance and beautify your lips with the Lip Contour Matte Lip Pencil to address flat lips, thin lips, wide or narrow mouth, or uneven shape. This easy-glide lip pencil is simple to use and provides intense payoff with a matte finish in a single swipe.
It is waterproof and transfer-proof and can be used alone or combined for the perfect lip look.
What else you need to know:
“They are literally the only thing I am using on my lips at the moment. The glide and payoff are so perfect and long-lasting. They fit ideally in my mini bag too! My favorite combos are Trendsetter used as a contour plus Bombshell as a highlighter or Famous and Trophy Wife. But when I want to add drama to my look, I use Vixen combined with Famous.”—Huda Kattan, Brand Founder
Shade range available: Vixen (poisonous deep brown), Famous (effortlessly chic burgundy), Cheerleader (delicately muted red), Gossip Gurl (everyday cute pink), Video Star (shout out pink-red), Bombshell (subtle pinkish nude), Trendsetter (stylish brown nude), Trophy Wife (bestselling rosewood), or Icon (classic peachy pink).
Fact: Every shade reacts uniquely, depending on your skin tone. This product is vegan and cruelty-free.
To Prep lips (improves consistency and length of wear):
- Gently exfoliate with lip scrub or a hot bath towel and hydrate your lips.
- Wipe off any excess oil.
- Create evenness by covering your lips with foundation or concealer, especially if you want to correct them.
To define your lips:
Start with the center of your lip, defining your cupid’s bow with an X shape and lining the center-bottom of your lips. You want to make both lips look balanced.
To upgrade your lip size with two shades:
- Apply the light Lip Contour outside your natural lip line and fill in your lips with the same shade.
- Don’t go too bold on the outline to keep it natural.
- Apply the dark Lip Contour following the exact same outlined shape.
- Insist on the inner corners of the mouth to create depth and draw a vertical line in the center of your lips to add some 3D effect.
- Blend the two shades pressing a tissue on your lips or using a hint of lip balm.
For the perfect lip enhancer combos:
- Use Trendsetter (Contour) with Bombshell (Highlight)
- Use Vixen (Contour) with Famous (Highlight)
- Use Famous (Contour) with Trophy Wife (Highlight)
I am wearing the Peachy Pink Lip pencil on its own in all pictures here.
To correct uneven shape:
Use the same technique as above but contour outside your natural lip line on the thinner section while simply following it on the fuller part.
To downplay fuller lips:
Cover your lips with foundation or concealer and draw your lip shape just inside the natural outline.
So now that you have the low-down, let’s jump into how did it work for me?
- Creamiest texture – formula almost similar to MAC Cosmetics Pro Longwear Lip pencils
- Pigmentation – no complains!
- Packaging – standard & sturdy. The colored base rim is useful.
- True to its claim – can be worn on its own
- Not long wearing when worn without a lipstick/topper
- Lips if unscrubbed, this formula can be unforgiving on cracks, chapped skin, dry lines
- It can be paired with any other lipstick – works great as a base even under bullet/satin lipsticks – no need to pair with a liquid lipstick necessarily
- The product is so soft that you will need to sharpen with every usage, which makes the product’s vanity counter life very short – that is SAD!
- Availability in India
- PRICE – already made my point on this
Overall, Kudos the Lip pencil for its formula, but I wouldn’t buy more than one/repurchase because of the price point & the fact that it does not change the lip pencil game drastically – Yes it is PIGMENTED AF, but apart from that it doesn’t earn other brownie points from me!
WCD rates this product a 4/5
Leave me a comment, if you liked the post or if you have questions, happy to answer 🙂