It is 08:00 hrs on 6th January 2018… I had a late work night, so am basking in the joy of the week-END finally dawning up on me but more importantly I had a special visitor from Malaysia and weekend plans were set!
10:30 hrs – I am all packed for 2 days and a night away from the wild city. The car is running low on Fuel but I am NOT. The Destination is a peaceful lake resort approximately 147 kms from Mumbai – which in normal traffic conditions would take you 3.5 hours (with a 20-30 min refreshment break included).
12:00 hrs – Great company. Good music, Full tank and a swift road ahead. I was in Drive-mode. We stopped by Foodpath, (all of us have heard of Shree Datta Snacks – but this was a new rival in town ) & coerced by a gentleman in the parking lot we decided to feed our grumbling tummies with some authentic food. Well, I had to choose a South-Indian snack – it was Saturday morning after all, but the friend true to his foodie skills ordered a Misal pav & it was B.O.M.B!
02:30 hrs – Ghats & Photo ops were time consuming, we are almost there. WELCOME to the Savana Lake Resort. So once we check-in, NO plan mode is on….zzzZZZZ
21:45 hrs – By now we’re FREEZING (weather was amah-zing: says typical city girl tortured by humidity)…we’ve managed to down half a bottle of Spiced wine to keep us warm (I’d got this killer potion from the Prague Castle souvenir shop…ehhm… tourists!)…some DELICIOUS wasabi peanuts AND Banana chips (all of which we scored on our own – there is a restaurant in the resort, but we preferred carrying some ‘personal munchies’). nevertheless, it was about time for REAL-FOOD. We’ heard they served a mean buffet dinner so we layered on a few hoodies and off to the restaurant.
07:00 hrs – The dinner was amazing. Everything after that is a Blur! … And it was a New Day. The Hills surrounding us were laced with a coral sky. Unlike the sunset last evening, there wasn’t a view from the room really – but just a peaceful, bright, crisp morning in the lap of nature – it was Blissful.
11:00 hrs – Breakfast was killed, nom-nom-nom! A Stroll around the entire property was checked on the agenda, meanwhile it was time for check-out. We were L.A.Z.Y to move base but decided to pack up & get to the next E.X.C.I.T.I.N.G stop.
13:00 hrs – Back on the wheel…this time, this time I was navigating. Dear friend was just about getting familiar with my ride and in about about 45 minutes from Savana we arrived at our Sunday sweet spot… HELLO SULA Vineyards!
To be continued…
- Convenience from Mumbai, Great Location, Calm property ( stone’s throw away from the city )
- Breath-taking view of the Western Ghats. Did you know WG is a UNESCO Heritage site?
- Every cottage has a sit-out area with a mesmerizing view of the Waldevi backwaters.
- Television with cable, Working AC if needed
- Pleasant Staff, Responsive Housekeeping/Room service – No doubt they are TripAdvisor certified!
- No Wifi ( well, to cut yourself off the grid is why you MUST take a break ), However, if you are an Airtel customer and need to get in touch with loved ones… Sorry, you are going to be disappointed!
- Pricey, would splurge on it only for an Occasion – In my case, It was New Year’s Celebration (Well, create an excuse so you can sleep at night)
- Average Room amenities for the Price paid as compared to it’s close competitors – Manas resort for example. I stayed in an Executive Cottage @Savana priced INR 6500 (with applicable taxes) minus Dinner charges.
- Hot water – on demand & not the quickest. Blankets provided were not the warmest, given how cold it gets in the night.
- Food & beverages – highly average, price: taste: portion wise
- Secluded, no provision for emergency needs
Tip: Book through their website, it’s claimed to be the best deal you can get. If you can afford the suite, go for it…you will have better room amenities.
WCD rates Savana Lake Resort a 4.3/5